Monday, 18 March 2013

Callistermons and Fairy-wrens


...... yellow socks today - thought that they would go quite nicely with the blue? what do you think? rather French? ...Mmmmm
I do need to keep myself entertained - What a busy few days! First of all I need to update about my last post ....... We did not have Cyclone "Rusty" go through where we live, as the Cyclone hit the west coast of Western Australia. 

We sure did get the rain depression though, which was fantastic ...... Now onto the events over the past days.  We were up and about early to inspect and fix all the fence lines that had been washed away - and to repair what we could, as the Creeks now begin to go down .... ..........

and a news flash! .... we found the portable Solar fence panel it was under, we estimate four metres of water, and ...... it was still attached to the star picket, but full of water and mud! ........ what a bummer! and the "steely" - the star picket was HORIZONTAL! .....shows you the force of Nature - magnificence .....




 This afternoon down at one of the crossings I noticed that all the Callistermons are starting to come out, so I got my camera out - they only grow in the creek beds and all the little wrens were out and about too, they are so precious! I have only seen - the Variegated Fairy-wren - Malurus lamberti - no pickies I'm afraid my camera is just a little "Kodak Z700" great for landscapes and such but not for these little guys - you would need a super duper Zoomer lens, they are so quick and so tiny - I will do some research one of these days to see what is around .... Wish List? 
 
We have also been weaning babies off their mothers.  Such a stressful time for all concerned let me tell you - especially when those bubba's a calling out for their Mama's ... The noise is unbelievable! and with El Ranchero yelling orders to me above all the racket - yes! it is rather a trying time for all concerned!

When we eventually did came in for lunch - I was given the afternoon off - El Ranchero went out and did some Pine Cutting, I usually go out as well but my Brush Cutter is in town for repairs - phew :-) for me!  I will fill you in on the Cypress epidemic that we have here on another day ..... 



But my afternoon was full of sorting "stuff" out .... I found one of my old sketch books, with drawings that I had done when I lived at Margaret River in Western Australia, I had always lived beside the seaside and this would have to be the furtherist I have lived in-land, over 400km's! I do declare! .....

Well that was quite a while ago, thought I would share them with you and see what you think? .... So be warned the colours are rather "Bright" and they are only quick sketches not finished drawings, they have been done with Wax crayons - "NEOCOLOR I by Caran D'Ache" - my absolute favourite crayon to use in wax! - coloured ink, I use - "ECOLINE by Talens of Holland" - the colours are TRUE - and colour fast, with no fading what so ever - and last but not least, a Charcoal pencil in "SOFT" the colours are a little different to the more sombre colours of the countryside down here in Southern Queensland ...... Enjoy!   by Simone McPherson