Wednesday, 22 May 2013

like beacons in time



by Simone McPherson
I really looked forward to our Sunday Breakfast, but where did it go?  It came and went and now it's already Thursday!  I must say though, I also looked forward to my Lentil sprouts as well ......  

 .......... I love Lentil Sprouts with anything they are so delicious!  It was just El Ranchero and I as we had no visitors over the weekend just gone .....


though we have had a busy week with moving weaners around and bringing cows in as their feed gets shorter, into paddocks that have fresh feed for them to carry them over the winter months.

We’ve been fixing up the yards, where we had a few bottleneck problems ....

 .....which resulted in a gate and part of a fence line being totally demolished ....

and now that the repairs have been made it looks and works fantastically with the flow of the cattle up through the yards

......and El Ranchero no longer has to get off Pedro to open and shut the gate … phew! getting a bit older now, to get on and off a horse these days!  He won’t admit that but I am telling you that!

The horses have finally put on their winter coats and ....  

....... I must say that Pedro in particular is very ‘woolly’, the wind has turned ‘Icy’ and I do mean ‘Ice’ with the Southerlies that we get at this time of year.  They tell me that they come of the ‘Snow Country’ down towards southern New South Wales and Victoria.

A BEAUTIFUL TUMBLE GUM - NEAR THE YARDS



ANOTHER TUMBLE GUM AT THE YARDS - THE TRUNKS ARE SO DIFFERENT FROM ONE ANOTHER
The days are endless and clear though, as long as you get out of that wind.  We have been frozen each evening.......

 ...... as we come in and it is dark by 18:00, shortest day coming up soon too for us here in the Southern Hemisphere! 

I have even had to rearrange the veranda as in has turned into an icy wind tunnel.  I’ve moved some of the pot plants around so that they get some more warmth and some sunshine – even brought two of them inside to enjoy at this time of year - they look happy enough.  

Just as well we don’t have any young children though, as I fear they would have an eye poked out by those sharp spikes! and how do you like the containers?  Well they are two roller drums out of a Bulldozer that El Ranchero collected - I thought they were a good find - and my god no one would ever steel them as they weight a ton I had to roll them into the house just as well we only have cement floors at present as I would not be doing that on tiles! .....


"THE 'KEMPS' OLD CRUTCHING SHED" by Me

a close up of "CATTLE SCAPE @ BARELLI" by Me

"ACACIA CULTRIFORMIS IN COBBS PADDOCK" by Me

a close up of "KEMP'S OLD CRUTCHING SHED" by Me
I have also had time to finish all my paintings too after a lot of umming and rrr-ing - mixed media on canvas …. So they will be wrapped up and ready to be sent off to the Woolshed at Bendee.  Will be interesting to see how things go, all for fun you know and I will keep you posted on the outcome ......

And I will finish here with a couple of photographs I look earlier this week while we were out checking the fence line 


I love Mother Nature ... these trees here were ring barked back in the late 1930's and have been standing here like beacons in time ... 

 ...... like a sentry standing, guarding his post they stand ... 

..... and that sentry has now provided a living space for another living thing - it's a little native orchid that we get living in only the dead trees they have a lovely cappuccino coloured flower which I will show you when they next come out in flower - and not to mention the many native birds and lizards that live in these trees too - just wonderful .....