Saturday, 4 May 2013

... make me smile


by Simone McPherson
 For the past week Porky Girl has been off work due to a sprained fetlock.  That in turn has meant that I too, have been off work as well – well not really, but it sounds good.  The other morning while we were attempting – and I do mean attempting - to bring in a mob of Weaners, the little blighters ‘Split’ and all Hell broke loose! … And that is putting it mildly. 
I in a split second of bravery I thought that Porky and I would race off after the little ‘poo-heads’ – I spun her around and …… Oh! No!  I knew what I had done as she has a weakness in her front leg from a past injury and in my lapse of not thinking I had damaged her Fetlock, again!
   
She did not want to miss out on all the action as she gets quite excited when we start bringing cattle in and wanted to keep going, Bless her little cotton socks!   

So I dismounted and we walked back home together to the yards, a good 30 minutes away ….. 

There is always some other jobs to carry on with when you have interruptions like this including, following El Ranchero around as backup in the Land-rover.  
  
And it has also given me time to get on with a little job that I had started a few weeks ago and needed to finish – the Salad Garden!

My little garden had come to its end after many, many months of lovely salad greens and herbs, now that the cooler months have started to encroach on us, though the days are still magnificent …. 

I had to say goodbye to all the beautiful Silver beet and ..... 

 ......the ‘Hello Dolly’ daisies until next year. 

 So it was down to the yards, we had been keeping a few of the weaners back to put into different paddocks and ....... 


 ...... they all left me some lovely manure. 

So over the next week in-between here and there, I filled up


 ........ nine chaff bags of goodness! .........

 ......... I also dug out the old containers as I had had tomatoes in one, they are heavy feeders.  So lots of agricultural lime went into that container and I also had to do some rearranging as I did not have enough clay in the bottom of the containers - just to hold a bit of the moisture in - being steel drums they do tend to heat up a little, so I try to keep them cool with mulch and by doing a layer of clay on the bottom, seems to work.

I am not planting too much over the winter months as we get frosts and there is no sun on the southern side as the earth shifts it's axis in winter.  It's also our driest time and water is at a premium here …..

So I have just planted some Violas – Pink Surprise, and some Pansies – Chianti, they are really for colour and they have happy little faces too .......


....... it can get pretty bleak as we head into winter.  This is one of the many storms that went through here last year - we got ice which was very unusual!


I also transplanted some of my little Johnny Jump Up’s – they are so sweet and hardy ...... 


......... they have all transplanted themselves into the rocks along the side of the veranda .......


 ........ from last year when I had them in pots on the veranda.  I still have an abundance of Italian Parsley, Thyme and plenty of lavender to make me smile over the winter months that are coming up and that keeps us both happy and smiling our little bits of Sunshine ......