Friday, 3 May 2013

...there they are


by Simone McPherson
For the past week or so we have been mustering cattle.  The weather has been glorious to say the least and the musters have been good without any anxiety, you know the sort that one gets working with animals, so along the way I've been thinking .......
Being a bit of a collector of ‘things’, yes I am guilty of picking up and searching out, for these ‘things’ that catch my eye and my imagination. 

It could be a colour or colours, I found these pieces after doing some gardening and coming across an old house tip, what a find! just precious ..... 

..... it could be a texture, a shape or even the way a particular object looks .....

...... old and weathered perhaps; the telegraph poles were only taken down in the early 1970's and phone lines were put in, does not seem that long ago ....

 .......of things rusting away or ....... 

.......just a piece of nature like a rock - I find these 'love hearts' everywhere - do you think it's a 'SIGN' ? - ah! well ..... they're gorgeous ....

Then I find myself picking up that ‘thing’ and putting it into my pocket or putting it in the back of the Land-rover much to El Ranchero’s dismay?....

 ... there are a few old 'tips' around the property and in these old 'tips' there are wonderful examples of old glass and ...

 ....... if you are really lucky you find 'whole' bottles - now that is a treasured find!

I have also found, that in my search for ‘things’ - that living in the Bush one has to make do with what is around the place - bush ingenuity – I believe it’s called.

It’s a type of craftsmanship of creating something with what is found in the shed.  This is a big old tin, and El Ranchero tells me that it has been turned into a type of portable heater for when the Drovers were droving sheep, back in the 1930's & 40's.  It gets very cold here in winter, in the evenings and these Drovers would camp out for days and weeks on end, there would not have been a sole around for miles, back in those days, totally self-sufficient ..........

They would also use what ever they could find in the yard or lying around the paddock somewhere ....... a chain for dogs perhaps? out of wire ....

or a chain made for a gate? ........and I have found many objects that have intrigued me that come from this type of ingenuity.

And then there are the things of the past, things of a time gone by that have been forgotten about but have silently just slept as the world has gone on around them.
And these objects are like little bits of a ‘Pirates Treasure’ when I do come across them; I feel like a little girl on a Treasure hunt and become very excited upon discovering lost riches, well to me at least.
And then there are the other ‘things’ that mysteriously appear out of the washing machine?  Now, these ‘things’ are intriguing, as one does wonder, how on earth did they get in there in the first place? – I have no recollection at all of ever putting these ‘things’ into the washing machine – but there they are all washed and cleaned!