Sunday, 10 November 2013

... we take a last look ...


by Simone McPherson
After 38 hours of Dozing we have an incredible boundary line in country that was virtually inaccessible by either man, horse, quad, motor bike, four wheel drive or even our trusty Landrover!

So on day three, the final day of Dozing we set out – with Maxi boy in tow - to investigate the new boundary line.  And my goodness what a boundary line it is!


We walk and walk, then we slide and slide, we slip and I stumble a few times too …

At the bottom of the dip ... 

Then after a while we take a look back … “now that is impressive” – we both agree.


And as we head further and further down towards the creek we begin to wind and bend around the steep rocky ravines, El Ranchero estimates quite a few 'dog legs' in the fence line …


 And still further down we go …


As it gets steeper and steeper … this is wonderful … 

Then we start to climb and climb … it’s just a small rise … I am on my hands and knees scrambling up the embankment, how on earth did the Dozer get through here? I am impressed …

We take a look back … imposing …


Still further onwards, El Ranchero beckons me …

Over another rise and now the Creek is getting closer as we descend deeper and deeper downward.


Finally the end is near …


We are on the Creek floor …


Then we pick up the tracks that the Dozer has left for us, for access in our Landrover and ...

... we follow the tracks as they meander along parallel to the creek before we start to climb again …

And there is the main boundary track that we came down over half an hour ago … yes I am puffed and I would care to imagine that I also have a ‘red face’ too … 

Finally we catch up with the Dozer driver just finishing off some clearing … I collapse under the shade of an Ironbark tree while El Ranchero and the Dozer driver catch up … El Ranchero does make a comment on how ‘red’ my face is … “really” I reply …

Once I gather my breath I cannot nevertheless admire the wonderful work that he has done with such a small machine – a D4 – though I am but a novice in these matters … 


We pick up the Landrover … 

Then half way up we take a last look before we head back up the hill … "It must be lunch time? surely," I wonder.  I could drink a gallon of icey water …