Sunday, 1 December 2013

... nurture them along the way ...



by Simone McPherson
Today we had a number of Thunderstorms that moved around our homestead paddock.  Dropping rain only here and there but still making a big rumpus with lots of thunder and a little lightening as they moved around.


In between the rain drops we drove with El Ranchero down to the bottom of the homestead paddock were we are putting in yet another fence line which when finished will put up the Stockhorses.

We all got out of the Landcruiser and followed El Ranchero to where he had been working …

… Maxi and Lily-pup made good use of the dam along the way though …

… El Ranchero is making a dent in the Cypress pine forest for the fence line - there are millions of these trees in all shapes and sizes … 

After the inspection the dogs and I then made our way back up the hill ...

...to the house as I was not working for my “Brush-cutter” was un-operatable – I had broken a strap the day before and we did not have anything to replace it.

And there is another task that needs attending to – I picture a wonderful retainer wall going the entire length of the embankment that the house sits on one day? OMG there is rendering to do too …

 … from which a terrace can be built, overlooking the scenery below … We also had to use the Landcruiser to get down to the designated area for the new fence line as ...

 ... the old Landrover is on her way out … the gear box has thrown in the towel, the chassis is now just about corroded away and I think we are going to call it a day with her now … such a shame.

We have also managed to finish another section of ...

... fence line in the new Laneway that we have been building – which we are now nearly halfway through … 

… just up and over that hill and then another Kilometre or so to the fence line that it butts up against … though all that has been put on hold till we are able to get our new work vehicle
… we have hung a gate ...
… dug through a channel for the electric cable to connect the fence line with the rest of the line …
… though we have to wait until next week to pick up our new, well 1980’s model Toyota Landcruiser … this one too, has a diesel motor though this time it is a tray back complete with a cab, doors and windows as well as a windscreen – now that will be a treat we will not know ourselves!

So in our down time at the moment I have been collecting wood that has been lying in a piece of land between the house and the feed shed... for a bonfire at new years eve ...

 ... the pieces of wood look like drift-wood though it has not drifted from anywhere, it's just watched as time has passed by … I’ve also started a number of projects that I know I will not finish in this small window of time that I have before we pick up our new work vehicle …

I had this brilliant idea of re-painting an old dinning setting for the veranda … yeah I can see that being finished too, one day far away …

Oh! did I mention some trophy heads I’ve been trying to hang for the past month?  Well of course I need El Ranchero for this project – and I have made so many appointments with him for this job – he just keeps telling me “tomorrow I will have time”? now that was months of tomorrows ago ...

… I’ve started making another three round garden beds with the rocks that we have lying around the place – there are so many to pick and choose from - I know this project is like planting a tree – the longer you put off planting a tree the less time you have to enjoy the beautiful shade that if provides and the birds that it will bring to your garden … 

El Ranchero spent a day on the crowbar digging the holes out after a neighbour of ours came over to help El Ranchero with some other work and whilst here he drilled three holes through the rock with his post hole digger to get the holes started …
Initially I was going to put in some lemon trees which I may still, and I would love to do, though one of the holes has proved to be nothing put a pond – the water does not drain at all … plan B – still figuring plan B out … 

 Nonetheless all the lovely Lobelia ... 

... the Italian parsley, basil and salvia ...

... the Bock Choy, 

... the Silver beet ...

and the vibrant marigolds are testimony that ideas and thoughts, do materialise if you nurture them a little along the way ….