Saturday, 23 May 2015

I shall get started ...


by Simone McPherson
The month of April was filled with watching storms as they crossed the countryside releasing all that wonderful rain upon the grounds beneath them.


And on one such morning we had to wait in the shed whilst a lovely down pour went past …

 … and at these times it is always a good opportunity for Lilly Pup to practice her rebellious techniques on El Ranchero …

… as soon as it has cleared a little ...

... we hoped into the Toyota and headed down to one of our front paddocks to check on the fence line ….

Once down there I can’t help but admire all the colours in the barks of the Gums that have become intense with their beautiful colours by the rain ….

 … the whites …

 … the greens …

 … and even the browns take on a different hue …

The next morning we awake to the countryside that is renewed and sparkling …

… with the addition of all that wonderful rain …

… and with that newness of the landscape you can’t help but appreciate all its splendour … even old Maxi wanders around with me sympathetic, I’m sure; of the freshness and newness ...

The other thing that rain signifies out here is plant growth and while the ground is relatively still warm this is a great time to get the last of the growth in the grasses before the temperature changes and winter sets in, it’s wonderful for the winter pastures that are needed to carry the cattle over that dormant time of the cooler months …

It has also been wonderful for a project that I have been doing here and there and to tell the truth I thought it would never end … 

For the past two years I gave myself a little bit of a task …

… and that task was, to clear the top bank here near the house of … ROCKS, and let me tell you that those rocks just seemed to keep coming.  It was almost as if all the rocks that I cleared would be replaced again after a number of months and then I would be back where I started from …

However the other day I felt that it was safe enough to do the most perfect thing that I had been so desperate to do … Mow the Native Blue grasses on the bank and to have a bit of lawn …

… now I am not too choosy or demanding of such issues, though I really needed just a bit of green that gave that feeling of coolness and tranquillity around the house, in a landscape that is very harsh and very, very rocky to say the least …

… and so, I finally did it … mind you, you cannot walk on the ‘lawn’ in bare feet it’s like walking on a million nails sticking into your feet, never mind … it looks lovely and I have noticed that the ‘Pretty face’ Kangaroos are enjoying the sort grasses in the early hours of the morning … 

We also had another addition to the house which we have been contemplating for the past year or so, especially through those long hot dry summers …

 … ‘shade cloth’ on the veranda …

… and so the other day we started putting up ‘shade cloth’ …

… twenty three metres of ‘shade cloth’ mind you …

 … and once the final touches where made we looked back and thought …

… yes … It has completely changed the ambiance of the veranda giving it a feel of coolness and quietness from the brightness of the outside light … we are looking forward to summer now on the veranda …

I have also been doing a lot of cooking and one of our favourites is Lamb on the barbeque with plenty of Rosemary from the garden …

... and salad greens from the garden ... 

 … we have had a number of visitors over the month of April and I have been spoiled with lovely gifts of fresh Yellow tomatoes and a beautiful Yellow tomato chutney that was simply divine with the cold lamb...

 … we where also given some ‘Chokos’ and I believe my lovely American readers may know the fruit as ‘Chayote’ … My memories of Choko’s are of a fairly bland fruit that we ate as a vegetable steamed and served with butter and plenty of pepper and salt.  The vine would always be found growing madly around the Chook yard and over the ‘out house’ – the back yard loo’s.   Choko’s belong to the gourd family with edible vines like cucumbers, melons, squash and such and they were originally introduced by the early explorers to Europe; then Australia and New Zealand coming all the way from Mexico … here in Australia the most common way of eating Choko’s is by cooking them into a Chutney or a Relish which I shall do too.

Rocky, too has been coming along wonderfully, full of confidence as he and El Ranchero go out on their daily excursions …

 … it is lovely to see the change in him as he starts his working life …

 … now as another day begins to dawn, and as the countryside starts to stir … we too are getting ready for another day to unfold.  I shall get started on my post for the month of May even though it is nearly June already, My Goodness ! …