Sunday, 21 February 2016

.... I was astounded ...

by Simone McPherson
On that late afternoon back on the first day of November 2015 as we were out on a leisurely muster I took a fall on my horse, Blondie.

El Ranchero tells me that the fall I took was not a bad one just a slow motion one with Blondie tripping and going down backwards, then springing up to her feet again.  I would have been lucky to have had a ‘tap’ on my head and Blondie was up and on her feet so quickly; and as El Ranchero tells me ‘concerned as to how I was’ … though it becomes clear a little further down the track what the actual catalyst was, which a year later almost to the date caused me to have a seizure that particular day.

When El Ranchero returned to me after galloping of home on Rocky to get help, he endeavoured to clean me up a little and dress me in clean clothing as I lay on the ground incoherent and unaware of what had actually happened to me. Though I am told that I kept asking El Ranchero if I had ‘Bad Breath’? 

Now, this is something, I am later to find out that our bodies do when we have had Trauma  they organise the mind so that it can manage the shock while the functions of the body go into shut down as our body attempts to keep us alive.
Whilst at the house El Ranchero had rung a neighbour of ours who was familiar with the lay of the land and knew exactly where we were, as he needed to eventually guide the Ambulance through the bush to get to us.   The Ambulance was based in a small town 38kms away.

I have no recollection of the Ambulance arriving at dusk along with the neighbour.  Now I ofcourse was asking all who were there as to whether I had ‘bad breath’?  The Paramedics then set to work cutting my clothing off, connecting me to machines that took account of my vital statistics putting me in a neck-brace and onto a stretcher then into the 4WD Ambulance along with El Ranchero. 

Our neighbour took care of the horses unsaddling them there in the paddock and letting them go.  He took the saddles, blankets and bridles along with the dogs back to the house, then he set of to follow the Ambulance and to give El Ranchero a little support in the ordeal that was unfolding before him.

I have no memory of stopping along the way three times as the Paramedics worked on me on route to the little country Hospital.  Of arriving at the little country Hospital and being monitored for a couple of hours before the Doctor on duty decided to call in the Care Helicopter to have me air lifted to Brisbane over four hours away by road.

 I am told by El Ranchero that at around one in the morning I was air lifted to Brisbane by Emergency Services in a Helicopter that landed at the country Hospital’s little car park to take me to the Royal Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane. 

At around 10am the next day the 2nd of November 2015 I awoke in what seemed like a busy Hospital ward I asked the nurse where I was, she promptly told me that I was in a Hospital.  I thought about this for a moment and asked her “what Hospital am I in?” She told me that I was in Brisbane at the R.P.A … I was astounded … to be continued …