Tuesday, 16 February 2016

..... no recollection ....



by Simone McPherson
On a beautiful late afternoon, of which I have no memory of on the first day of November 2015 El Ranchero and I were on a late afternoon muster.

Just a short muster to a paddock close to the Homestead no more than two or three kms away along with the dogs Maxi and Lily pup …

 … Blondie Girl was playing up a bit nothing that I could not manage, she was on Heat and being a Mare they can become very emotional and a little giddy. We usually persevere with this time of the month, with a good bit of lunging before we go out to work which seems to quieten her mind a little, ordinarily she is a well behaved Mare.

Truthfully I must confess to you that I have absolutely no recollection of this afternoon at all, nor that day or even the last day in October 2015 which was the day before the first day of November in 2015.

I have no memory of Blondie playing up, of El Ranchero dismounting Rocky Boy to give her some exercises shoulder in and so forth to get her attention back to me/us, which we have done many times in the past.

I have no recollection of her suddenly running backwards, tripping and going down with me on her back and rolling to her right with me underneath.  I am told Blondie got to her feet strait away, my breakaway stirrups did their job and broke letting my left foot out.

I have no memory of crawling on my hands and knees with El Ranchero asking me how I was feeling.  Apparently I was angry and confused?  I don’t remember throwing my helmet off, then telling El Ranchero that I did not feel so good and that I could not stand up.

Of not knowing where I was or of what had happened to me and of becoming slurry with my speech.  I have no memory of El Ranchero sitting with me talking to me, reassuring me that he was there, for an hour or so. 

 I have no memory of El Ranchero removing all my clothing as my body started to shut down expelling everything as I went into a seizure and El Ranchero putting me on my side and reassuring me through that time that he was there.
Once the seizure started to pass after 5minutes or so he told Maxi the Black Dog to virtually sit on me so that I could feel another heartbeat.  

El Ranchero mounted Rocky and galloped back to the homestead to ring a neighbour for help.  I have absolutely no recollection of any of the events, to this day.  And the thing is that it was not a bad fall at all … to be continued